luckysevenstar

Monday, April 6, 2009

Do Schools kill creativity? Sir Kevin Robinson







I love, LOVE, love TED. I'm kinda obsessed really. (no, REALLY)
Here's one I saw today that made me thank my lucky stars (pardon the pun) that I went with my gut feeling when looking for kindys and schools for my little girl and decided to go with an alternative school which strives to encourage children to learn and grow in a creative, open and curious environment.

I recall all those years staring out the window wishing for just one tiny spark each day in just one class. I really loved learning, but HATED the system and the environment. My teachers were so at the ends of their teachers with what to do with me that they even let me create my own class curriculum (visual media studies) and brief them on how to each it to my own class (year 11).

I felt the most awful panic when trying to find a school for my daughter to attend - how could I possibly force her to undertake a schooling like my own experience? Luckily I found a school locally which is similar to the 'summerhill' philosophy and am happy to report that my daughter spends each day painting, dancing, learning, counting and writing to her hearts content. She'd go to school on the weekends if they'd open!

Anyway - watch Sir Kevin


No comments:

Post a Comment